- 500 grms pork belly, cut into cubes or any pork parts with fats
- 8 large dried shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped shallots or red onion
- 6 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 4 pcs star anise
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp rock salt
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper (black pepper will do)
- 1 liter water
- Soak the dried shitake mushrooms in water to soften, squeeze excess liquid then cut into strips.
- Over medium flame, heat oil in a sauce pan and fry shallots until fragrant, add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add star anise and coriander. Cook for another minute.
- Add your mushrooms and pork. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until pork looses its outer pink color.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, pepper and water.
- Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cook covered for 1.5 hours (or until pork is very tender) stirring occasionally to prevent from burning.
Source: Kusina 101