Kaldereta or Caldereta is a regular dish in every Filipino’s stomach. Either it maybe in a karinderya or a hearty meal cooked by mom in your own homes, Filipinos have been familiar with the dish that defines home cooked meals. Though this dish looks like little pieces of happiness mixed into one bowl, it actually takes patience and a lot of love to be able to perfect this dish.
Don’t push that exit button just yet, because we’ve got the easy version for you that’ll make your neighbors ask you on what smells so good. The common meats for this are goat, pork or beef, but this recipe calls for the most commonly used and something that gives you a bit of an edge: beef. Start chopping your favorite vegetables because almost anything goes with this recipe!
- 1 Kg Beef, cubed
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups Water
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup Liver Spread or Liver paste (processed using blender)
- 1 tsp. crushed Chili
- 3 large Bay Leaves
- 2 cups Potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups Carrots, cubed (small)
- 1 cup Cooking Oil
- 2/3 cup Green Olives (the salty and sour taste of green olives gives a very nice flavor for this dish)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking oil in the pan and fry the carrots and potatoes until color turns light brown.
- Remove the fried carrots and potatoes from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan where the vegetables were fried, sauté the garlic and onions.
- Add the beef and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add water and let the beef boil until tender (about 30 minutes using a pressure cooker).
- Add the tomato sauce and liver spread and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add green olives, carrots, bay leaves, bell pepper,crushed chili,and potatoes and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Hot. Excellent with white rice.
Source : Best of Filipino Recipes