- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter plus 9 tablespoons cut into 9 pieces, chilled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- First place the butterscotch chips and the first 3 tablespoons of butter into a glass bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Stir between each 30 seconds. This should take one minute to one and a half minutes. Add the vanilla and stir until smooth; let cool for 15 minutes.
- Beat the second amount of measured butter (9 tablespoons) with the sugar and salt. An electric mixer would work but a stand mixer is preferred. Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the cooled butterscotch mixture and continue to mix until combined. Add egg yolk then reduce to a lower speed to add the dry ingredients of flour and baking powder. A dough will come together and that is your signal to stop mixing.
- Pinch off enough dough to make approximately one inch balls. Place on a parchment lined baking tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges just start to brown. Cool on wire racks.
Source : A Baker’s House