- 1 lb ground turkey (could use other ground meat)
- ½ lb ground turkey sausage (could use other ground sausages)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced into small cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (can use a mixture of cheeses if desired. I like smoked cheddar and sharp cheddar)
- shredded cheese, fresh parsley, chopped bacon, dice tomatoes, cheese, pickles, buttered croutons.
- In a large deep skillet brown ground turkey and ground sausage. Drain and set aside.
- In the same deep skillet at 2 tablespoons of butter and diced carrot, onions and celery.
- Sauté until tender over medium heat.
- Stir in cubed potatoes, chicken broth, italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer just until potatoes are tender (but not to soft).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Whisk in flour a little at a time stirring constantly over medium heat.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in warm milk and warm heavy cream.
- Stir in cheeses until mixture is smooth and creamy. Do not bring to a boil or simmer.
- Pour meat & vegetable mixture into the cheese sauce and stir until well combined.
- Taste and add in additional salt, black pepper, garlic powder or Italian seasoning if needed.
- Laddle soup into bowls and top with desired toppings.
- Serve hot!
Source: Divas Can Cook