- 400g shrimp (around 25g middle size shrimp)
- 1 cup oil, for frying
- 2 scallions, white part and green part separated
- 1 tablespoon ShaoHsing wine
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 cup warm chicken broth or warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- Use a toothpick to pick the devein part out. Then remove the dark part in the heads too. Wash carefully and then drain completely. Use kitchen paper if necessary.
- Heat oil in a deep pan until really hot; add shrimp in to fry 15 seconds. They should turn red quickly. Transfer shrimp out and pour off extra oil.
- Leave in 1 tablespoon of oil, fry garlic, ginger and scallion over slow fire until aroma. Add ketchup and broth. Mix well.
- Return shrimp, add sugar, light soy sauce and ShaoHsing wine. Continue cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce is well thickened and stick to the shrimp. Add salt to taste and scallion sections.