- 2 kilos of fully cleaned skin-on, rectangular pork belly (“liempo”)
- 1 piece large garlic bulb, de-skinned, pounded
- 1 large white or red onion, quartered
- 3 pieces cut into 2 inches “tanglad” (Filipino lemon grass)
- 25 grams fine salt
- 5 grams ground black pepper
- 10 ml. soy sauce
- 15 ml. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- thick thread for tying
- meat thermometer
- Score and slit lean, skin & fat parts of the belly.
- Pour in all ingredients unto blender and blend/mix until paste.
- Rub inside slits and all parts of meat plus the inside to effect full flavor absorption.
- With left over marinade, lay flat belly (lean part side down) and marinate for 2 hours inside ref. (DO NOT FREEZE)
- Tumble and turn every 30 minutes.
- Pouring all marinade left over inside the meat, roll and tie as in picture.
- Pour tap water 1/2 of pan. This will serve as moisturizer to heated meat and as dripping medium.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg.F then, on top of pan (in a wire rack) sear belly for 30 minutes.
- Lower temp to 250 deg.F and cook further for 1 more hour & 30 minutes (or longer as you wish-adding water to pan as need be) until internal temp reaches 140 deg. F for medium rare, 150 deg. F for medium, 155 deg. F for medium well & 160-165 deg. F for well done.
- Serve. Best with “suka’t bawang” (garlic-vinegar dip)
Source: The Food Critic