Chocolate Malt Mousse:
- 1 cup of Milk or Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 pint of whipping cream
- 4 T of Plain malted milk powder
- In a bowl, place your chocolate chips and malted milk powder.
- Bring the cream to a boil in a pot, and pour over the chocolate.
- Whisk to combine, until chocolate is melted. Allow to cool.
- Blend the mixture with a stick blender or in a standard blender for about 30 sec. or so. (This incorporates extra air, and makes the mousse that much lighter when ready to whip.)
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate over night. (Or for 4-6 hours).
- When ready to use, simply whip up, (using a whip attachment), until nice an thick.
Chocolate Pudding: **If making from scratch
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 t. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 T butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, and milk together until combined.
- Place over medium heat, constantly stirring, until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Turn down to low, add the butter, and chocolate, and continue to stir for about 8-10min.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour immediately into a shallow bowl or pan.
- Cover the top with plastic wrap, and poke some slits in the top to allow the heat to escape.
- Place in refrigerator to chill completely prior to using in the cake.
- 2 cups of AP flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 cup of Rochester Mills “Milkshake Stout” beer
- 1 cup of Veg. or Canola Oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F & grease 2- 8in. round cake pans (lined with parchment or floured)
- In a mixing bowl, add all of the dry ingredients. Mix on low to combine. Add the stout and mix. (Scrape the bowl between additions.) Add the oil, a little at a time, until combined. Slowly add the milk and eggs.
- Divide the batter between the 2 pans evenly. Bake at 350F for 40min., or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Flip out of pan onto a cooling rack after about 10-15min. Allow cakes to cool completely prior to assembly.
- 1 bag of 60% dark chocolate chips
- 1 pt. of whipping cream
- Simply place the chocolate chips in a bowl.
- Bring the cream to a boil, pour over chocolate chips, and whisk until chocolate is completely melted, and combined. Ganache should be slightly warmer than room temp. when pouring over cake. (***Too hot would melt the mousse, and if it’s too cool, it will not pour smoothly over cake and will appear lumpy!)
- 1- 8in. board
- 1- 10in. board or plate
whipped chocolate malt mousse
chilled chocolate pudding
- 2- 8in. cakes split evenly in half
- garnish: ganache, cookie or cake crumbs, candies, etc.!
- On an 8in. cake board, take your first cake layer, place a layer of chocolate pudding evenly over cake, and stack another cake layer. Layer an even amount of Chocolate Malt Mousse, and then stack next cake layer. On top of cake, spread an even layer of chocolate pudding. (Starting on bottom, should be : cake, chocolate pudding, cake, mousse, cake, chocolate pudding, and 4th layer of cake on top!) Ice the top and sides with rest of Chocolate Malt Mousse.
- Finish with crumbs, or ganache. Take pictures, slice, and enjoy!!