- 1.5 kg upo, peeled, deseeded, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 kg pork loin or pork belly
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- 1½ tsp salt
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 cups water
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until lightly browned. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Set aside.
- Add the water to a stockpot and bring to a boil. Add the pork and salt and cook over medium- high heat for 15 minutes. Skim the fat off the top of the broth. Take the pork out of the water using a slotted spoon. Reserve the broth.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the pork and sauté for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Return the pork to the stockpot. Add the squash, peppercorns, fish sauce and the sautéed garlic and onion. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice and the fish sauce.
Source: Kusina 101