- 1 whole coconut
- 3 ¾ cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp all spice
- Shell the coconut.
- Using a vegetable peeler (or a mandolin grater), shave the coconut into long strips and set aside.
- In a medium sized, heavy bottom saucepan, add the water to the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add the vanilla, spices and coconut and increase the heat to high.
- Let it go to a rolling boil for about 30-45 minutes, until the sugar syrup has reduced by about 2/3.
- Preheat the oven to 275F.
- Remove the strips of coconut with tongs, allowing excess syrup to drip off. Place on a foil lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until the coconut has browned and caramelized.
- Remove immediately from the sheet pans and place candy on a cooling rack. Store in an airtight jar.
Source : The Hungry Buddha