- 1 (4-to 5- pound) boneless chuck roast
- 2 large cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine (broth may be substituted)
- 2 cups homemade Italian tomato sauce (or 15 oz can tomato sauce)
- 1 tbsp unrefined cane sugar or molasses
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 8 small potatoes, scrubbed
- 6 carrots, scrubbed and quartered
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
- Rinse roast and pat dry.
- Cut small slits in top of roast and insert slices of garlic.
- Mix together sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and flour and dredge roast in flour.
- Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium high heat and brown roast on all sides.
- Add sliced onion and wine to roast.
- Combine tomato sauce and next 4 ingredients, bring liquid to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer roast for 1½ hours.
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery. cover and continue simmering for an additional hour or until meat is tender.
- Transfer roast and vegetables to a serving platter.
- Serve with pan gravy spooned over top.
Source : Pure Grace Farms