- 1 400g package of firm tofu
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onions
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, and coarsely ground with a mortar and pestle
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Put the tofu in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer then keep covered on a low heat while you make the sauce.
- Mash the garlic in a mortar and pestle (or with the side of a knife) with a pinch of salt. Stir the mashed garlic together with remaining ingredients.
- Lift the tofu with a spatula or slotted spoon out of the water and transfer to a shallow bowl. Spoon the sauce all over the tofu and serve.