- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 T butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream or neufchâtel cheese, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Start a large pot of water over high heat for the pasta. Bring to a boil while preparing the sauce.
- Place flour, salt, butter, and pepper in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is light brown in color, 3-4 minutes. Add milk slowly, whisking until well blended. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta in the boiling water until just firm, 4-5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add the cream cheese to the milk mixture, stir and simmer 2 minutes or until thick and cream cheese melts, stirring occasionally. Stir in mustard and Worcestershire; simmer 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Add drained pasta; toss well.
Source : Vermont Cookie