- 3 cups eggplant, peeled and cut into bite size
- 250gm ground beef
- 2 cups boiling water divided
- Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- Place eggplant in a colander, sprinkle around 1/2 teaspoon salt, leave for 5 minutes. The eggplant will release water
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Wash the eggplant from salt, place on a baking sheet. Dry the eggplant using paper towel. Season with black pepper and salt, add 2 teaspoon olive oil and mix well with your hands. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 10 – 15 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender but still holding its shape.
- In a frying pan, add chopped onion, cook until it starts to change color to light brown, now add 1 teaspoon oil and cook for three minutes, stir continuously.
- Add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes, add the garlic and season with black pepper and cinnamon.(don’t add salt if the eggplant have enough salt already).
- Pour one cup boiling water and let it evaporates. Add another cup of boiling water and tomato paste, stir well then add the eggplant.
- Cover and let cook until you get around 1/4 cup of gravy/sauce in the pan.
Source : Munaty Cooking