- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. yeast
- 2 cups and 5 tbsp. cold water
- Mix the flour and salt into a large pot.
- Mix cold water with yeast. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Mix the water with yeast into the flour mixture. Stir for about a minute.
- Use your hands and knead it until it becomes a solid block.
- Add little flour if the dough is wet, and water if too dry.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover, let it rest for 2 hours until risen.
- When the dough has risen twice its size, start kneading into thick long sizes and use a knife to cut into serving pieces.
- Leave the mantou on a wooden board for 15 minutes for it to rise some more.
- Place damp gauze on the bottom of the steamer.
- Put buns on the steamer and let them steam on high heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let sit for 3-5 minutes more before removing the lid.