- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (from about 3 lemons)
- 12 graham crackers
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 & 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup whipping or all-purpose cream
- Whisk together yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and salt in a saucepan. Add milk and whisk until smooth.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice.
- Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Cover with plastic (pressing directly onto surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming) and refrigerate until cool (about 30 minutes).
- Line bottom of an 8-inch baking dish with 6 graham crackers (break into pieces to fill space, if necessary). Spoon 1/2 of pudding over graham crackers, spreading into an even layer. Repeat with remaining 6 graham crackers and rest of pudding.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, whip cream with remaining 1 tsp. sugar until it holds stiff peaks. Spread whipped cream in a thin layer over top of cake.