I bet you didn’t know that Sans Rival is actually made by the Filipinos. Oh yes! This sweet and fancy looking dish is actually made by Filipino who studied in France during the 1920’s and 1930’s. Sans Rival actually means “without rival”.
And you might be a little scared knowing that dessert came from such a fancy origin. Don’t worry. This dessert really only calls for 8 basic ingredients – that’s less than 10 already! Get your mixing and layering skills on with this Sans Rival recipe here!
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1½ cups toasted cashews, chopped
- 320g butter, softened
- 8 egg yolks
- 1¼ cup white sugar
- ⅔ cup water
- 4 tsp rum
- 2 cups toasted cashews, chopped
- In a mixing bowl add egg whites and beat until foamy. Add cream of tartar and gradually add sugar, continue beating until it forms stiff peaks.
- Fold in the cashew nuts.
- Prepare 3 round pans (9 in) and line them with baking paper. Divide meringue equally into the pan then bake in a 160C preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until top is light golden brown. Once time is up turn heat off then leave meringue in the oven to dry it out, if you want a chewy texture you can leave it in the oven for 30 minutes but if you want it crunchy leave it in the oven for 2 hours, do not open the oven door.
- In a large bowl cream butter using a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl beat egg yolks until light in colour.
- In a saucepan add sugar and water, place it in stove top and bring it to a boil, continue to boil until it becomes thick like a syrup. You can also test it by dropping a small amount of the sugar mixture in a cold water it should form into a soft solid drop.
- Back to your egg yolks, beat them in high speed while pouring a very thin thread of the sugar mixture.
- Add the butter and rum while beating in high speed. This stage your Buttercream might be a bit runny, if that’s the case refrigerate until it hardens but still easily spread.
- Remove meringue in the oven then place them into a cake stand. Place one meringue in the bottom then spread a layer of butter cream on top, sprinkle ¼ cup of chopped cashews on top. Place another layer on top and repeat with the remaining meringue until all layers is used.
- Cover everything with the buttercream, smooth sides with spatula then sprinkle the remaining cashews.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours before serving. Don’t worry the cake will not harden