- 6 pounds pork spareribs
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 whole star anise pods
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place ribs in a 5 to 6 quart stock pot with the 2 wedged onions, 4 tablespoons of the soy sauce, pepper and star anise. Bring all to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and let simmer in meat juices until ribs are tender when pierced, about 1 1/4 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add remaining chopped onion and saute, stirring often, until onion is soft. Blend in the ginger, honey, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Cook all together, stirring, until well blended. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Using tongs, remove ribs from stock pot and arrange in a single layer in an 11×16 inch baking dish. Brush evenly with the honey mixture and bake in the preheated oven, basting often with pan drippings, about 30 minutes or until ribs are well glazed.