- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved, sliced
- 6 shortcut bacon rashers, trimmed, chopped
- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 250g dried spaghetti
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/4 cup thickened cream
- Toasted pine nuts, fresh basil leaves and finely grated parmesan, to serve
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan or flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add onion, bacon and pumpkin. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add garlic and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken stock and 2 cups cold water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Add spaghetti. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broccoli. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until pasta and broccoli are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper. Serve pasta sprinkled with pine nuts, basil leaves and parmesan.