- 1 kilo chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup julienned ginger
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1 cup coconut cream (kakang gata)
- 4 pieces bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- 4 finger chillies (you can also use birds eye chillies if you want it more spicy)
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- In a deep skillet, sauté the ginger in oil using low heat until golden brown. Remove half of it from the pot and set aside.
- Add the garlic and onion and chicken. Fry until browning occurs.
- Combine vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, peppercorn and bay leaves. Pour the mixture into the chicken. Cover and continue simmering. (Don’t disturb for a minute to prevent vinegary taste.)
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer. Let it simmer till sauce is thickened.
- Add chillies then simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving dish. Top with the remaining ginger. Serve hot!