- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- oil for deep frying
- 5 cups brown sugar
- a pinch of salt
- Mix and sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl, set aside.
- Beat egg and add to the milk.
- Pour this mixture into sifted flour.
- Knead until smooth, then divide into several portions,
- Roll each portion on bread board into strips 4 inches long,
- Twist the strip to bring the ends together ( or make an”8″ shape, if desired).
- Fry in hot oil until brown, drain, and dip in syrup.
- To make syrup, put brown sugar and a little water in a saucepan, caramelize over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.