- 1 cup uncooked chana dal
- 6 cups water
- 5 whole cloves garlic
- 2-inch ginger root, cut into quarters
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 green chili, cut in half
- 1 cup hot water
- Wash lentils and soak in hot water for 45 minutes.
- To a pan, add water, lentils, garlic, and ginger. Let it boil until lentils are tender, may take 30 to 40 minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked, discard the ginger.
- In another pan, fry onion in oil and 1 Tablespoon butter until translucent.
- Add tomatoes to onion. Stir 3 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add garam masala, coriander, curry powder, cumin, and turmeric. Continue stirring.
- Add green chili. Stir for another 2 minutes.
- Pour lentils on top of onion and tomato mixture. Stir and mash the lentils with the back of the spoon. Add one cup of hot water.
- Let simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. The longer it simmers, the more flavor it develops, will take 3 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter just before serving. Serve hot with plain rice or bread.
Source : Munaty Cooking