- 3 cups Glutinous Rice
- 1 tablespoon Lye water
- Sugar, for dipping
- Grated Coconut, for dipping
- Banana leaves, prepped for wrapping
- Cotton or any food-safe Twine, for tying
- Wash the glutinous rice flour once, then soak in water. Make sure the rice is fully submerged. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Prep the banana leaves for wrapping
- Strain the water thoroughly, then add the lye water. The rice should turn yellowish.
- Measure 1/2 cup of rice and put on banana leaves. Fold all ends in tightly to make an approximately 3 x 1 1/2 inch pillow, set aside.
- With the folded sides inwards, tie together 2 pieces, like pictured.
- Set on a big pot and cover with water, bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer for at least 3 hours and check for doneness.
- Open one pair and see if the suman is soft and fully cooked. If not, tie it back and return to boil.
- Check every 1/2 hour or so for doneness.
- When done, serve with sugar mixed with grated coconut.