- 12 to 16 slices slightly stale French bread, or 8 slices regular bread
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brandy, or 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- grated rind of 1 large orange
- butter for frying
- warm pure maple syrup
- Beat the eggs thoroughly in a large bowl. Add the milk, sugar, orange rind, cinnamon, and brandy, and mix well. Pour into a shallow dish like a pie plate if your bowl doesn’t have a good flat bottom.
- Add a few slices of bread and let soak, turning occasionally, for at least 5 minutes if it’s French bread, or 2 minutes if it’s regular sliced bread.
- Put a little butter in a large skillet and heat over medium heat until hot. It should sizzle when a drop of water is flicked on it. Fry the bread on both sides until golden brown and piping hot.
- Serve immediately.
Source: Mang Dagul’s Kusina 101