- 1 kilo pork pigue
- 2 teaspoons five spice powder
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 pc. bay leaf
- 1 pc. star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 – 2 cups water
- Combine soy sauce, five spice powder, garlic and salt then mix well.
- Marinade the pork in the combined mixture for at least 1 hour.Heat a cooking pot then put-in the pork along with the marinade and water then let boil.
- Add bay leaf and star anise.Add brown sugar and stir to distribute evenly.
- Simmer for about 40 minutes flipping the meat after 20 minutes or so to tenderize the other side.
- If sauce dries and pork is not yet done, add more water. Boil over low fire until sauce thickens.
- Turn off the heat and remove the meat from the cooking pot.
- Allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes then slice.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with the thick sauce.
- Garnish with parsley or spring onions cut into 1″ long sprigs. Best when served with pickled papaya.