- 2.5 – 3 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 inches fresh ginger
- 4 oz dried shitake mushrooms
- 2 cups white mushrooms (or other Japanese mushrooms)
- 2 cups dashi (or beef broth)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- 2 bell peppers
- green onion, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Soak your mushrooms in a small bowl of water and let sit until softened. Season your beef by sprinkling all sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Prep your onions by cutting into a few large chunks. Grate your ginger and mince your garlic.
- Place a large Dutch oven or oven proof pot on the stove over medium heat. Add the oil and once the pot is hot add the beef. Roast on all sides until the edges are browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Once the beef has browned add the onion, garlic and ginger and let cook for 10 minutes until the onion has softened a little.
- Add the mushrooms, soy sauce, sake, dashi, and soaking liquid from the mushrooms. Cover and place in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove the seeds from the peppers and cut into large chunks. After the roast has been cooking for 2 hours, add the peppers to the pan and return to the oven uncovered. Cook for another 30 minutes until the peppers have softened.
- Af the roast has cooked, remove from the pan and set on a cutting board to rest a few minutes. Place the vegetables and mushrooms in a small bowl and place the pot of braising liquid on the stove over medium heat. Let simmer until it has reduced and thickened to your liking.
- Once the sauce is ready its ready its ready to serve! Cut the roast into large chunks and serve with a bowl of rice.
Source: Otaku Food