- 10 roma/plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound thick smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup coffee, brewed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 chipotle chilis in adobo, chopped or sriracha to taste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pepper to taste
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet with the cut side up, spray, brush or drizzle them with oil and roast in a preheated 250F oven until the are starting to caramelize and shrivel but are still juicy, about 2 hours.
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan an over medium heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon starts to get crispy and set aside, reserving 1 tablespoon of the grease in the pan.
- Add the onions and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the vinegar and deglaze the pan.
- Add the coffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, bacon, chipotle chilies, cumin, pepper and tomatoes, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency, about 1-2 hours.
- Process the jam in a food processor to smooth it out to the desired texture.
- If you do not finish it all in one sitting, store it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Source : Closet Cooking