Chicken Empanada is traditionally eaten during Christmas time or fiestas around the country. Different versions have come around such as the famous Vigan Empanada. And here we give you one of the original versions: Chicken Empanada.
It doesn’t only use chicken, but as well as other vegetables for an extra healthier and tastier snack. Get stuffing and filling for your family and friends with this merienda special. Check the recipe here!
- 1 1/2 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 piece medium-sized onion, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 piece chicken cube
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 6 tbsp water, cold
- 1 piece raw egg
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Make the Filing by pouring the cooking oil in a pan and then allow it to heat-up
- Once the oil is hot, saute the garlic and onions
- Add the chicken breast then cook until color turns light brown (about 5 minutes)
- Add water and chicken cube then simmer for 10 minutes
- Put-in carrots and potatoes and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the green peas, raisins, and sugar then simmer for another 5 minutes
- Sprinkle salt and pepper. Turn off the heat, drain the excess liquid, and set aside.
- Make the dough by combining the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl starting with the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well using a wire whisk.
- Cut the butter into small thin pieces place in the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.(the butter should be cold and solid before doing this)
- Add water gradually and mix all the ingredients thoroughly until a dough is formed. You may use a pastry blender to easen the process.
- Divide the dough into individual pieces by grabbing a piece from the whole mixture and rolling it in your hand until a spherical shape is formed. Do this until all the dough is consumed. Set aside in a cool place for at least 20 minutes
- Flatten the spherical dough py pressing it with your palm against a flat surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten it fully while creating a round shape.
- Arrange about a quarter to half a cup of filling (the chicken that you cooked in the first few steps) at the middle of the flattened dough. Fold the dough so that opposite ends meet (you should have formed a half moon shaped dough)then press the edges and seal. (refer to the video for the technique)
- After all the fillings are consumed, crack the egg and separate the white from the yolk. Beat the egg white lightly and mix a little water.Glaze the crust by brushing the egg wash.
- Put a wax paper on top of a baking tray or grease the baking tray then arranged the sealed doughs.
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Bake the sealed doughs for 25 minutes at the same temperature.
- Remove from the oven.
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!