- 600 g (1.3 lb) ground chicken
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 650 g (23 oz) jar passata
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano, chopped
- 1 packet fresh lasagna sheets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 50 g (1.8 oz) butter
- 1/3 Cup flour
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 cup grated cheese (e.g. Edam, Cheddar, Noble)
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F). Heat a dash of oil in a large fry pan or saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Fry the chicken until browned, Remove from the pan and set aside. Return the pan to the heat and fry the onion and garlic for 3 minutes, add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan and add the carrot, spinach, passata, Worcestershire sauce, basil, and oregano. Bring to a simmer and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the mixture has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan, whisking in the flour, and gradually whisking in the milk, whisking well to ensure a lump free sauce. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce is thick, but not boiling. Remove from the heat and mix in the nutmeg and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a lasagna sheet into the base of an oven proof dish. Spread 1/2 of the meat mixture over the top and a thin layer of cheese sauce. Add another layer of lasagna on top and the other half of of the meat. Top with a lasagna sheet and pour the cheese sauce over the top. Sprinkle over some extra cheese.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes – until the pasta is cooked and the top is golden.