Banana egg rolls
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 4 bananas
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- oil for frying
Salted caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 fl ounces heavy cream
- 1 1/4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or sea salt
- Peel and mash the bananas. Stir in cinnamon. Unwrap the egg roll wrappers and place one on working counter with a corner facing towards you. Scoop 2 tbsp of filling towards the bottom 2/3 of the wrapper. Fold over the sides towards the center. Dip finger in a bowl of water and moisten the top edges of the wrapper. Roll up the egg roll towards the top. Place seam side down on a tray. Repeat with remaining egg rolls.
- Freeze egg rolls for 30 minutes or until firmed.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salted caramel sauce. Heat sugar and water in a heavy bottomed medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Let sugar dissolve. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, making sure not to stir the sugar mixture. Boil until the syrup becomes a deep caramel color, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the sugar from heat and whisk in the heavy cream. Add the butter and salt and stir until the butter has melted. Transfer the caramel to a bowl or piping bottle and let cool.
- Heat frying oil to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully drop the egg rolls into the hot oil, frying in batches. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs and transfer to a paper-towel lined tray. Repeat with remaining egg rolls.
- Drizzle salted caramel sauce on the egg rolls and serve with extra sauce on the side. Serve with ice cream if desired.
Source: Cherry on My Sundae